Phone: 306.874.2280


Development and Building Permits

Development and Building Permits are required and inspections are performed to ensure buildings provide necessary life safety and fire safety requirements and adhere to local, provincial and federal standards.

Applying for a Permit

Development review is completed to ensure compliance with requirements of the Zoning Bylaw. Building Permit review and corresponding inspections are administered under the Building Bylaw, The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act and the National Building Code of Canada. Building Permits include a Development Permit.

There are different types of permit applications for items such as moving or demolishing buildings, construction, renovation, repairs, etc. Below are lists of what does and doesn’t require a permit. There are different permit requirements for residential and commercial.

Permit is required for:

  • New residential and/or commercial buildings including decks
  • Relocation of any building within, onto, or off of a site
  • Demolition
  • Change to site elevation or site drainage
  • Change of occupancy or use of an existing building (home based businesses, etc.)
  • Erection of a tent garage
  • Repairs due to water or fire damage
  • Alterations to existing buildings or structures including:
    • changes to walls
    • installing bay, box, or box windows in new or exiting openings or changing the size of a window
    • basement development
    • decks

Permit is not required for:

  • Driveways and sidewalks on your own property;
  • Cosmetic repairs such as paint or minor repairs to exterior finishes;
  • Replacement roofing on a one to four unit dwelling unless the decking is replaced;
  • Replacement siding on a one to four unit dwelling, as long as the replacement is with similar construction and requires no structural alterations;
  • Changing floor covering such as laying carpet or linoleum;
  • Replacing doors and windows in existing openings in a dwelling unit, as long as the replacement is with similar construction and same size;
  • Fences (regulations regarding placement and height exist but a permit is not required).

Development and Building Permit applications are submitted to the Town Office to be reviewed to ensure compliance with the Town of Naicam Zoning Bylaw. If compliant with the Zoning Bylaw, the application is then forwarded to the Town’s contracted building official, Municode, to ensure compliance with National Building Code. To avoid delays, ensure the permit application package is complete and all required plans are submitted to the Town Office in full.

Please remember it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure they are not encroaching on easements or property lines. The Town staff locating pins is not the same as a legal survey. The Town recommends that prior to any construction projects, regardless of whether a permit is required, that the property owner either be in possession of a legal survey or obtain a new legal survey.

Town of Naicam Appointment Building Official:

MuniCode Services Ltd.

Box 1570, 409 Central St. W.

Warman, Saskatchewan, S0K 4S0

Phone: (306) 955-6355

[email protected]