The Town of Naicam would like to remind everyone to be pro-active in regards to the security of their vehicles and personal belongings as there have been numerous thefts and attempted thefts in our community.
- Lock your vehicle
- Take your keys and belongings
- Never hide a second set of keys in your vehicle
- Park in well-lit areas
- Never leave your car running with the keys in the ignition
- Completely close car windows when leaving your vehicle unattended
- Don’t leave valuables in plain sight
- Park your vehicle with wheels turned toward the side. Some car thieves use tow trucks to steal vehicles, so make your car tough to tow away. Wheels should also be turned to the side in driveways and parking lots so the vehicle can only be towed from the front.
- If your vehicle is rear-wheel drive, back into your driveway. Rear wheels lock on four wheel drive vehicles, making them difficult to Front-wheel drive vehicles should be parked front-end first.
- Always use your emergency brake when parked. In addition to ensuring safety, using the emergency brake makes your car harder to tow.
- If you have a garage, use it. Parking your vehicle inside protects it from thieves as well as from Mother Nature.
- When parking in a garage, lock the garage as well as your vehicle doors. By locking both the garage and vehicle doors, you greatly improve the chances of deterring a thief
- Never leave the registration or title in your car. A car thief will use these to sell your stolen vehicle. File the title at your home or office and carry your registration in your purse or wallet.