We’ve had some questions on the commercial side of things under our new Waste Management Bylaw and how things will be changing. Here are  the top 5 questions being asked.

  1. Do I need a permit for a bigger commercial garbage bin for my commercial zoned business?
    • No. Commercial users are responsible for arrangement of their own waste storage or collection containers from an approved and licensed provider.
  2. Who are approved and licensed providers for commercial garbage?
    • In general this is any provider that has obtained a business license for this purposed from the Town of Naicam. If we have given them a business license to provide this service in our community,  you can do business with them. On the spirit of healthy competition for the marketplace and economy we do not restrict which vendors our commercial sector can do business with other than that they must be licensed to do business in the Town and operate proper, safe equipment.
  3. How will I know if I have to move or change my bin under the new bylaw?
    • The Town may instruct a business regarding the placement of their bin and to keep their bin and bin area as neat and tidy as possible. If your existing bin has been in place for some time already and you keep your area well maintained, chances are the Town will not be requiring any changes.
  4. Do I have to change who I rent my bin from?
    • No. The Town will not be telling commercial zoned businesses who they may or not do business with other than the conditions listed above in #2.
  5. Can we participate in the curbside cart program if we are a business?
    • Yes and No.
      • Because the needs of our commercial businesses in our commercial zones are so variable with the amount and type of waste they generate, we cannot operate a universal program that suits everyone. Commercial businesses are to continue to coordinate their own waste disposal with their chosen provider (subject to #2 above) on what size of bin they require and how often they want it dumped and are responsible for those associated costs. Businesses choose to handle their waste disposal in different ways. Many smaller businesses may group together to use one bin.  Some smaller places will simply take their garbage home to put in their residential bin or take their trash directly to the transfer station. 
      • Commercial businesses operating on side streets that do not have significant use of front street customer parking (these are generally businesses not in the downtown core), may be able to participate in curbside roll out cart program upon request. This will be discussed on a case by case basis as requests come in. Any arrangement for inclusion in the curbside roll out cart program is to be approved by the Town, but will be arranged directly with REACT and will be subject to associated fees billed to the business by REACT.  Approved use of the carts by commercial properties must follow the same rules for placement and care as residential carts. The curbside roll out carts are generally not able to be placed in back alleys due to overhead power lines. The trucks emptying the carts require a minimum of 14 foot overhead clearance.